Sunday, May 8, 2011

EDM613_WK1 Reading-Copyright Issues

By: MikeBlogs


As educators we need to be aware of the legal consequences of not monitoring proper copyright procedures.  There are a number of possible copyright violations happening in schools today. Is it possible to have everyone within the limits of copyright?  Teachers must be informed about the real legal limits of fair use.
Looking back at all of the projects I’ve created and seen created in the last fours years, there have to have been numerous copyright infractions. It is a balancing act between someone’s right to create vs. another’s right to protect what he or she created.
Creative commons allows the works of others to truly contribute to our culture. It is a sharing community around content.  It allows us to behold creativity and to educate without concern about violating laws. As an educator, I would encourage my students to view and use information from places like Creative Commons.

3 comments:

  1. I believe that I have not been completely compliant to copyright laws as well. Until I came to Full Sail I had always been forced to be aware of plagiarism consequences but never copyright. I agree that Creative Commons is a great resource that I will continue to utilize. I will also discuss this issue with my peers who are creating and possibly using others work without realizing the legal limits of fair use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tawnya!

    Copyright and Fair Use is tricky. Creative Commons is fabulous, plus it is international, whereas Fair Use is not.

    Since I got my Master's in 2003, not much was spoken of Creative Commons, and when I was in college, it did not exist. So, many do not know much about it... at least here in the USA.

    Do your professors give you information on Creative Commons, or is it still mainly Fair Use discussions?

    Kind regards,
    Tracy Watanabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Tawnya - Increased awareness of copyright issues is the first step. I see the continued development of Creative Commons being a close second. In order to understand why/how Creative Commons is such a valuable/brilliant alternative, one must first be shown all the limitations/headaches with current copyright law.

    ReplyDelete